Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Art Assistance Required

I am the room mom for my 5th graders class. Whew….that’s a lot of pressure!  I am a room parent veteran, but 5th grade is a tough crowd.  They think they are much older and cooler than they actually are so no dumb games or craft projects (my kid’s words).  I am a BIG fan of having all the kids make something special for the teacher as a gift.  This year, inspiration came in the form of this painting that I found on Etsy.  (I can’t find it anymore to give credit where credit is due!)

CTT

I got permission to come in and have 15 minutes of time with the kids so we could work on our little project.  I gave each student a 3x3 piece of green cardstock and a black ball point pen.  I asked them to write their name in a circle over and over and over…..  As you can imagine, some kids LOVED this and others whined.  (Mine whined.)  I did not tell them exactly what I was going to do with the paper so they wouldn’t be tempted to blow the surprise for their teacher.

I cut the papers into circles.  I did this freehand because I wanted it to be abstract and not perfectly perfect. 

016

I painted an 11x14 canvas red and added some swirls.  I also painted a very imperfect green triangle in the middle just in case any of the background would show through my circles.  I Mod Podged the circles onto the canvas, added a star and some ornaments and then put several coats of Mod Podge over the whole thing.

015

And I think the finished product turned out great!  Mrs. Bollinger loved it and the kids were so proud!  Total cost….hmmm……about $3.00 for the canvas.  (Two pack at Hobby Lobby is $7.99 but I used a 40% off coupon.) 

014

I am lucky to have super generous parents in my class so just in case of them wonder where all the $ they donated went, we also got her gift cards to Steak and Shake (her request). 

No comments: